The 2014 Special Olympics USA Games are being held between June 14-21, with the volleyball portion running June 16-20. The USA Games will be unlike any other Special Olympics event you have ever seen or heard about with tens of thousands of athletes and fans consuming nearly every athletic facility within 10 miles of Mercer County, NJ (volleyball will be held at Rider University). With an event so huge comes a dire need to recruit volunteers to help make the event successful. While we were in a great position to fill many of the positions using the local high school volleyball community, many of the volunteers had to back out due to their school year being pushed back thanks to snow. As a result, we are now faced with the daunting task of filling nearly ½ of our volleyball specific positions. I am asking each person reading this to strongly consider signing up and becoming a volunteer to help us make this event as incredible as these amazing athletes deserve. Coaches- please encourage your players to do this as well (just as I have with my own club and college players). Should you be interested in volunteering at least one 8 hour day, please follow the steps show below.
If you have any questions on volunteering, please email volunteer@2014SpecialOlympics.org. I thank you all for your time and support.
2014 Special Olympics USA Games
How to sign up for volleyball:
- Go to www.2014specialolympics.org/player/volunteers
- Scroll down and click ‘General Volunteer Registration is Now Open’
- On the right side of the page, like the ‘REGISTER NOW’ button
- Provide email and select new user (unless you have already created an account)
- At the bottom of the page, select ‘General Volunteer’
- Fill out information. IF PROMPTED FOR AN ACCESS CODE, USE THE WORD ‘VOLLEY’. Also, select ‘VOLLEYBALL’ under ‘Areas of Interest’. Click ‘Register’
- Initial and click ‘I Accept’
- Scroll down to Volleyball, pick a job and pick your hours! If you have volleyball experience, please sign up for an appropriate volleyball-specific job (line judge, score book, etc.) as those are where we’re going to need the most help. The minimum commitment is one 8 hours day.